Buttermilk Fried Chicken
- 3.3lb / 1.5kg Chicken divided (see notes)
- 3-4 cups / 750ml – 1litre Vegetable Oil or as needed for deep frying (see notes)
- 2 cups / 500ml Buttermilk
- 1 tsp each: Paprika Cayenne Pepper White Pepper Onion Powder Garlic Powder Salt
- 2.5 cups / 375g Plain Flour
- 1 tbsp Paprika
- 2 tsp each: Oregano Baking Powder
- 1.5 tsp Salt plus extra to sprinkle at the end
- 1 tsp each: Onion Powder Garlic Powder Cayenne Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- In a bowl combine the wet mix with your chicken ensuring it s fully coated by the marinade. Cover and allow to marinate in the fridge for an absolute minimum of 4 hours but the longer the better (up to 24hours). Remove at least 30mins before you intend to use it to bring to room temp.
- Meanwhile combine all of your dry mix. I find this easiest in a small tray but you can also use a bowl. Dip a piece of your chicken into the mix and fully coat. Really make sure you get the mix in every part of the chicken. Place on a tray and repeat with the remaining chicken.
- Heat up enough oil to comfortable cover the depth of your largest piece of chicken. Drop a piece of mixture in if it slowly sizzles to the top you re good to go. You want the oil to be approx 175c/350f (it will drop when the chickens in that s okay). A medium heat should obtain this.
- In batches of 3 (4 max) gently place your chicken in the oil. Deep fry for 6-8mins on each side or until deep golden and white through the centre. (see notes). If you’re not confident deep frying just test with one piece first. Place each piece on a wire rack when finished and sprinkle with salt to draw out the last bit of moisture. The chicken should be piping hot with the juices running clear.
Base Recipe adapted from this SITE